Jazz up your lunch with this healthy alternative!
2 bell peppers, any colour
105g instant brown rice
140g chunky-style mild salsa
70g canned black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
70g cup frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
Serves 4 (half a pepper per serving)
1) Preheat oven to 200℃.
2) Cut peppers in half; remove seeds. Place in a shallow baking dish, cut-side down.
3) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until skins begin to bubble and the peppers are just tender.
4) Boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low. Then, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
5) Stir in salsa, beans and corn, and mix lightly. Add chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
6) Fill the baked peppers with rice mixture; cover with foil.
7) Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
8) Uncover peppers and top with cheese slices.
9) Continue baking 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and the filling is hot. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.
By Hannah Roberts